As we race towards the beginning of the 2013/14 UK tax year, this calendar should help you establish what the 2013/14 key tax deadlines are. You should make note of the following dates. We know that tax is the bane of most people's lives, but if you know exactly what lies in store, you can plan ahead to make things much easier.
- 6 April 2013 First day of new tax year.
- 6 April 2013 HMRC issue Self Assessment Returns and Notices to Complete a Return for tax year up to 5 April 2013.
- 6 April 2013 If you are self-employed or have property income, you'll need to start organising detailed records from this date to be able to do your tax return for the financial year 2013/14.
- 31 May 2013 Copies of 2012/13 P60 are to be issued to employees.
- 6 July 2013 Copies of 2012/13 P11d are to be issued to employees.
- 31 July 2013 Deadline for second Self Assessment payment on account for tax year ended 5 April 2013. - If 2012/13 is your first year completing a tax return this will not apply to you. - If you have already done one tax return, you’ll be given an estimated amount to pay HMRC based on what you earned in the previous tax year. This payment goes towards your total tax owed for the year 2012/13. You will already have made your first payment on account for this tax year back in January.
- 5 October 2013 Deadline to notify chargeability for Income Tax/ Capital Gains Tax for 2012-13 if not registered for Self Assessment. Complete form CWF1 for self-employment or form SA1 for non self-employed income.
- 31 October 2013 Deadline for paper submission of Self Assessment tax returns for tax year ended 5 April 2013. If you want to submit a paper return, you need to have it in by this date otherwise you could be fined. However, if you miss this date you still have until January 31st to file it online.
The average UK tax rebate is £963
- 1 November 2013 Paper Returns submitted from now will attract a £100 penalty
- 30 December 2013 Deadline for online submission of Self Assessment tax returns for tax year ended 5 April 2013 for HMRC to collect tax through clients’ PAYE codes, where they owe less than £3,000.
- 31 January 2014 Deadline for online submission of Self Assessment tax returns for tax year ended 5 April 2013
- 31 January 2014 Deadline for paying Self Assessment ‘balancing payments’ for tax year ended 5 April 2013.
- 31 January 2014 Deadline for first Self Assessment payment on account for tax year ended 5 April 2013.
- 1 February 2014 £100 Fine imposed where HMRC requested Return for 2012/13 but not submitted. Interest starts to run on unpaid tax as at 31 January 2014.
- 5 April 2014 Last day of tax year.
- 5 April 2014 Deadline for claiming back PAYE tax for tax year 2009/10
- 5 April 2014 Deadline for claiming back Self Assessment tax for tax year 2009/10