If you worked in any of these countries, you could be due a Tax Refund

6 Tax Tips for Your J1 in the US

#TaxTipsUSA #TravelTipsUSA

Knowing your rights and obligations when it comes to tax in the US can be hugely beneficial when it comes to tax return time! We’ve compiled a short list of must-know tax tips for J1 students embarking on their incredible adventure to the US.

Heading on a J1? Check them out:

1. File an accurate tax return on time!

While working the US, you’ll be taxed on your earnings and it’s your legal obligation to file a tax return at the end of the tax year. This will ensure you keep a clear tax record with the IRS (the US tax office) and claim back any overpaid tax. Make sure you file your tax return on time by the deadline of April 15 (April 18 in 2016).


2. Non-resident? Forget about e-filing!

If you qualify as a non–resident for tax purposes, you cannot submit your tax return electronically. Unlike US residents for tax purposes, you must prepare your tax return on paper and post it to the IRS before 18 April.

The average US tax back we get for J1 students is $800



3. Prepare your federal and state tax returns

States like Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, Tennessee, New Hampshire and Wyoming have no income state tax and if you live there you are not required to file a state tax return. In any other case, however, you have to prepare and file both federal and state returns.


4. Monitor your tax refund application

Keep track of your tax refund application with online tracking tools. At Taxback.com, we give our customers personal online Tax Tracker accounts with regular updates offering full transparency on the process.


5. Sign a customer agreement

If you decide to use the services of a tax agent, make sure you sign a customer agreement with them. Read all the documents carefully and ask as many questions as you like!


6. Estimate your tax refund for FREE

If you’re eager to find out how much you could get back, use our FREE tax refund calculator. The good thing about it is that it gives you an instant and no–obligation estimate.

It’s important to note that the amount of tax you’ll get back depends on a variety of factors like earnings, your visa, the state you worked in, etc.

Keep these simple tips in mind – they’ll save you a lot of tax troubles!


The average US tax back we get for J1 students is $800


About The Author

Ciara Kennedy - Digital Content Writer @ Taxback.com

Ciara is our Digital Content Writer at Taxback.com. Since graduating in Journalism and Visual media, Ciara has worked in online marketing in Ireland and Australia and loves writing in all its forms.

Live Chat Help
Ciara Kennedy - Digital Content Writer @ Taxback.com in